Monday, November 28, 2011

'Chute' me to the moon

 
What an exciting weekend?!?!  I ate more Turkey than one person should, and had my fare share of pie, and stuffing.  Time to detox until Christmas.  I also made it onto Pinterest this weekend, and I don't mean I got off the waiting list, I mean one of you savvy smart brides to be posted a picture from my wedding and  I have had LOTS of inquires about the lovely parachute that was hung from the ceiling during our reception.

Good News: The Parachute, and black drapes are alive and well.
Bad News: You have to live, or want to get married near Springfield, TN.  The venue we rented for our wedding owns the parachute, they are "The Center."   They rent out all their items ala carte style, so the drapes and parachute were two items we took advantage of.  
 
How can you get your hands on a parachute? You might try and see if your local Armory or Air National Guard have "retired" parachutes in storage you could rent or borrow.  They hung the parachute with string on each line of the "chute" The venue was a gym before it was transformed into a wedding reception venue!  

Please message me and let me know if I can help you plan your big day in any way.  And keep checking my Wedding Board on Pinterest for more FUN Wedding finds :)

13 comments:

  1. I love this idea! You can just plan my 6/23/11 wedding! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean 6/23/12 wedding! Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! For everyone outside of Springfield, TN... I wonder how expensive it would be to purchase a used parachute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know the size of the parachute? I'm doing some searches online but the biggest sizes I'm finding are 35' and the one they have there looks quite a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Parachute is a 10TD parachute in case you call the local armory or army supply store. Not sure on the size, but my husband said it is meant to for cargo, not people, so think BIG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. DeForest, how big is that room for the wedding? I think I found a big enough parachute but I figured the amount of drapping depends on the size of the room. I like the amount of drapping in your picture so I would like to know the size of the room for reference. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I have gotten about 10 calls in the last 2 weeks about the photo on pinterest! Everyone wants to have a parachute for $35. I am looking to find one to add to our inventory of rental items but so far no luck on the 100 ft size. But I am glad that brides are looking for cool ideas for ceiling covers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea!! Do you have the number for The Center? I am having trouble finding it online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE this!!! I'm planning a wedding this year in the detroit area and I HAVE TO find this somewhere, somehow. What a beautiful addition to add warmth to any venue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any chance you're selling this parachute after you use it??!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! My question is about the lighting behind? I'm guessing you're in a room of some sort and the lighting is already there, correct? Any ideas on what lights to use and how ti set it up like that in a tent?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What color is this parachute. All the parachutes I have found are green but this one appears to be a little bit more white.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I am in desperate need for your help. My fiance and I are getting married in just 4 weeks. We found a parachute because we loved the idea you put on your blog. Our wedding is in a gym that fits a large cargo parachute, similar to your picture. My only question is HOW do you hang the thing? Do you need steel cables, hinges, did you hire professionals? I am at a lost. The building has two hinges with a rope attached. However, We attached the parachute to the rope and it was just too heavy for the rope. So I need some help. If you have any list of things used for the parachute let me know. I need to make the day perfect for my bride-to-be.

    ReplyDelete